Congresswoman Diana DeGette speaking to Blue Rising Supporters in Denver.

Congresswoman Diana DeGette speaking to Blue Rising Supporters in Denver.

Q: What is Blue Rising and what makes it different from other PACs?

A: Blue Rising is a federal PAC formed by two Colorado women and feminists who decided that they had to take some kind of action after the election of Donald Trump and the Republican majorities in the U.S. House and Senate. Our primary objective is to ensure the extreme right/Trump agenda loses ground in the next election cycle. While Blue Rising will seek out women and diverse candidates as much as possible, we plan to identify and support candidates in federal races who have a high probability of winning and who will maximize the impact of the Democratic agenda. We will seek candidates who support issues of key importance to women, people of color and the LGBTQ community, including gun violence prevention, protection of women’s reproductive rights, equality (both social and economic), environmental protection and immigrant rights.  In addition, Blue Rising seeks to be accessible to participants and invites input and collaboration on how best to achieve its mission. Our goal is that contributors feel good about their donations to Blue Rising. We are fueled by a love for our democracy and the maintaining of our multi-cultural ideals.

Q: Will you work with other PACs?

A: Blue Rising is a federal PAC, so we are required to focus on federal races. We will certainly seek to partner with other federal PACs to coordinate and maximize contributions to candidates in key races with good chances of winning or current democratic office holders that are in important seats that must be protected.  In some cases, we will consider contributing to candidate-focused PACs for key races if we believe we can make a demonstrable impact.

Q: What is the PAC's cost structure (e.g. # full time employees, % donations going to administrative overhead vs direct to specific candidates, etc.)?

A: At this point, Blue Rising is run completely by volunteers. Compliance and management is also on a volunteer basis. Our goal is that 90% or more of funds will go to candidate contributions and candidate advocacy. The other 10% goes to operating and event expenses.

Q: What is the Blue Rising fundraising target for the 2017-2018 cycle? How many races are you targeting?

A: Although we are a new PAC, we believe it is critical to quickly gain Democratic control of the U.S. House and/or Senate in 2018 to block the reckless and dangerous agenda of Trump and the Republican Party. We hope to raise as much as $200,000 for the 2017-2018 election cycle in order to impact as many as 25-50 races. However, even with $100,000, we would be able to help impact up to 20 races.

Q: How will my donation have an impact?

A: By pooling our collective resources, we are able to make significant contributions to several competitive congressional races and hopefully tilt the balance of power in Washington. We think of this more akin to crowdsourcing than a large, anonymous DC organization.  With contributions from ordinary people who have decided to make a difference, we believe in making sure that each dollar provides the highest marginal return available across the available races. PACs are limited to contributions of $5,000 per candidate both for primary and general elections, so the more PACs contributing, the better the chances of success. Donations to Blue Rising are public information and not hidden or secret. We believe this enhances our authenticity and is in line with our core values.